Career Opportunity: Accounting and Administrative Assistant
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Some of the benefits and features available to our employees include:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive Health Benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, travel coverage, and much more
- A comprehensive Dental Insurance plan
- An Employee & Family Assistance program
- An RRSP Matching plan
- A Wellness program
Position Description: As an important member of The Career Foundation’s Finance department, the Accounting and Administrative Assistant is responsible for daily and accurate processing of claims, creating and managing a systematic filing system with tracking reports, as well as providing overall administrative support to the team and in particular the Financial Controller.
- Position Type: Full-time, one-year contract with very good possibility to lead to permanent employment
- Experience: 1+ years
- Number of Positions: 1
- Reporting to: Controller, Finance Department
- Location: This is a hybrid-remote position comprised of work-from-home functions and on-site work from a base location at Lawrence & Allen Road in Toronto, ON. The remote work component is contingent on the successful candidate having appropriate work-from-home space and reliable, high-speed internet connection. Hybrid schedule to be determined by the Financial Controller.
- Start date: Immediately
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: The Career Foundation is committed to the health and safety of its workforce. As of December 16, 2021, successful candidates for our internal employment opportunities must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of same prior to receiving an official employment offer. Accommodations will be made where possible for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Processes daily payables and tracking of employer training incentives and participant supports, including stipends and bonuses.
- Receives and processes all invoices related to participant supports for payment.
- Maintains a tracking report updated daily that supervisors can review for real-time information on their program’s employer training incentives and participant support budgets.
- Reviews invoices for appropriate authorization, verifies that supporting documentation is provided, and follows up with supervisors and/or vendors regarding any discrepancies.
- Ensures that all invoices are correctly allocated to the appropriate program budget.
- Runs direct deposits, issues checks, and processes credit card monthly transactions for participant support and employer incentive payments.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring accuracy of inputs and reports.
- Communicates with supervisors regarding any questions and concerns.
- Supports the Financial Controller with implementation and roll-out of new accounting software system and processes.
- Participates and provides expertise in the review and continuous improvement of new financial processes and controls.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and automation of financial processes and controls.
- Posts supplier invoices into Sage following established procedures.
- Ensures that vendors are paid in a timely fashion, conferring with Financial Controller regarding cash flow.
- Responds to vendor inquiries regarding status of invoice payments.
- Reviews and reconciles monthly supplier statements to posted records, and contacts vendors to request outstanding invoices or to resolve discrepancies.
- Reconciles Sage aged payables report to the general ledger and resolves differences if out of balance.
- Verifies accuracy of HST amounts and allocates to correct accounts for future remittance / reimbursement.
- Provides documentation and answers questions as requested during the annual audit process by external auditors.
- Maintains paper archives for all employer training incentives and participant support files.
- Maintains complete and accurate files, accessible to other Finance team staff for reference.
- Provides office support and vacation relief, as necessary, for the Finance team.
- Other accounting and administrative duties as assigned.
- Diploma or degree in accounting or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Knowledge of Sage accounting software and Canadian GAAP, GST, and HST legislation considered an asset.
- A minimum of one year accounting experience, including account reconciliation and tracking and monitoring of expenses.
- Excellent technical/ computer skills and understanding of accounting processes.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and especially Excel spreadsheets.
- Experience using online communication platforms and tools, including Zoom, SharePoint and MS Teams. Must also possess aptitude and willingness to learn and work with new online systems and technologies.
- Outstanding detail orientation, organizational skills, problem solving and analytical skills, with a proven ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values in all interactions with fellow staff members, partners, government funders, and other stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills with ability to clearly communicate information verbally and in writing.
- Bilingual (English/ French) is considered a strong asset.
- Punctual, self-motivated and self-directed.
- Proven ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment, with high standards of professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- A positive approach to work and willingness to take initiative to lend assistance where needed to ensure that the team is successful in meeting department goals.
- Willingness and flexibility to occasionally work outside of normal business hours during peak periods, when needed.
- This is a hybrid-remote position comprised of work-from-home functions and on-site work from a base location at Lawrence & Allen Road in Toronto, ON. The remote work component is contingent on the successful candidate having appropriate work-from-home space and reliable, high-speed internet connection. Hybrid schedule to be determined by Financial Controller.
- Must be fully vaccinated (two doses) against COVID-19. The successful candidate will be required to submit official documentation to confirm vaccination status prior to job offer.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to email@example.com, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program