Career Opportunity: Communications Specialist (Canada Summer Jobs Program)
Important Application Details: To be eligible to apply for this position, candidates must be between the ages of 15 to 30 years. This role is intended for youth looking to gain work experience in the social services sector.
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Scope of Position: The Communications Specialist will assist the Communications Officer in implementing and executing The Career Foundation’s overall communications and marketing plan – focusing specifically on digital communications. The primary aim of the position is to build awareness of the programs and services offered at The Career Foundation to serve the community and reach job seekers from underrepresented groups. A creative and collaborative approach to community engagement through marketing is required to be successful in this role.
Position Type: 30 hours per week for 9 weeks (Canada Summer Jobs program)
Start date: June 6, 2022
Number of Positions: 1
Location: This is a hybrid-remote opportunity comprised of work-from-home functions and in-office work as needed from a base office at Lawrence & Allen Road in Toronto. The successful candidate must have appropriate work-from-home space and high-speed internet. Company laptop and VoIP phone line provided.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: The Career Foundation is committed to the health and safety of its workforce. As of December 16, 2021, successful candidates for our internal employment opportunities must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of same prior to receiving an official employment offer. Accommodations will be made where possible for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Works with the Communication Officer to refine social media strategies and best practices.
- Creates marketing materials for all programs to promote the organization’s services.
- Utilizes Canva to create social media posts on The Career Foundation’s brand, workshops, events and job openings, while also supporting online engagement.
- Supports the Communications Officer with drafting content for e-newsletters to The Career Foundation subscribers (employers & job seekers).
- Assists in managing social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube) and editorial calendar to ensure content is timely, relevant and engaging.
- Edits and creates short videos and podcasts as needed.
- Maintains an up-to-date workforce development site with industry reports and sector initiatives.
- Tracks weekly growth in social media followers.
- Assists with copywriting, proofreading, designing/formatting and updating content for The Career Foundation, as needed.
- Conducts research on latest social media and marketing trends to support program promotions.
- Ensures that effective messaging, consistent with The Career Foundation’s voice, is being executed online.
- Plans and drives innovative and effective marketing initiatives to local community members, including newcomers, women, persons with disabilities, those receiving income support, Indigenous Peoples, and youth clients to ensure that they have equitable access to services.
- Distributes event flyers, workshop calendars, and job postings to community partners to help generate referrals and intakes.
- Coordinates with fellow staff and management on participation in community engagement events.
- Coordinates with Communications Officer to perform other duties as required.
Qualifications/ Skills Required
- Pursuing a diploma or degree in Marketing or Communications, or an equivalent combination of practical work experience and education is required.
- A minimum 1 year of hands-on digital marketing experience is required.
- Advanced proficiency in marketing and design software is highly preferred, including Canva, as well as experience in an Office365 environment.
- A professional and courteous approach to client service, with a high level of respect for the diversity of the people served.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values.
- Outstanding organizational skills, time management, and ability to multi-task in order to meet deadlines and achieve objectives.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills, with ability to clearly communicate information verbally and in writing.
- Punctual, self-motivated and self-directed.
- Willingness to step-in to assist team members as needed to help ensure goals are met.
- Ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment.
- Willingness and flexibility to occasionally work outside of normal business hours during peak periods, when required.
- Must have appropriate work-from-home space with high-speed internet for a hybrid-remote work schedule. Company laptop provided.
- Must be fully vaccinated (two doses) against COVID-19. The successful candidate will be required to submit official documentation to confirm vaccination status prior to job offer.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program