Career Opportunity: Employment Services and Placement Specialist (Full Suite Employment Centres)
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Some of the benefits and features available to our employees include:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive Health Benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, travel coverage, and much more
- A comprehensive Dental Insurance plan
- An Employee & Family Assistance program
- An RRSP Matching plan
- A Wellness program
Program & Role Description: The Employment Services and Placement Specialists are part of The Career Foundation’s five (5) full-suite Employment Centres conveniently located in Etobicoke, North York, Downtown Toronto, and Scarborough. Our Employment Centres provide job seekers with a full range of services, including exploring career options, improving their résumés, preparing for interviews, and much more. The Employment Centres also offer a range of services to employers, including job matching, hiring fairs, retention advice, and other services.
The Employment Services and Placement Specialists are responsible for conducting client intakes and needs assessments, developing individualized action plans for job seekers, performing outreach to employers, facilitating job matching between job seekers and employers, administration of important documents, and other essential functions.
- Position Type: Full-time, one-year contract with good possibility of renewal
- Location: Base office location will be in the GTA. The successful candidates will also be required to travel to and perform work from other offices in the GTHA. Potential to perform some work functions remotely from home contingent on having appropriate work-from-home space and reliable internet connection. Hybrid-remote schedule will be as determined by management.
- Years of experience: 2+
- Reporting to: Employment and Training Services Manager
- Number of positions: Multiple
- Start date: Immediately
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: The Career Foundation is committed to the health and safety of its workforce. As of December 16, 2021, successful candidates for our internal employment opportunities must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of same prior to receiving an official employment offer. Accommodations will be made where possible for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Client Needs Assessment, Case Management, and Job Search Coaching:
- Manages a caseload of 100+ clients annually, ensuring that written documentation and details for each file are completed on time and consistently updated in internal and funder-mandated online systems and ready for file audits.
- Conducts individual interviews with clients to establish eligibility and pre-employment needs.
- Collects, organizes, and analyzes client information through assessments, tests, interviews, and professional sources, to appraise clients’ interest, aptitudes, abilities, and personality characteristics for vocational and career planning services. Analyzes, evaluates, and interprets collected information to assist clients in targeting the most suitable employment opportunities, based on experience, education, and existing labour market factors.
- Develops action plans for clients, using the results of individual needs assessments.
- Assesses wrap-around resources and guides each client to build a support network to help address personal and environmental issues that may affect their ability to conduct job search effectively.
- Keeps up-to-date information on referral sources by liaising with community partners.
- Assists clients with various components of the application process for education or training programs.
- Determines client eligibility for financial supports, administers the individual supports, and ensures proper documentation is included on file to support expenditures.
- Monitors and tracks operational performance of caseload ensuring client success rates are in line with the program targets.
- Provides support to clients for disability awareness-building, job adaptations, social supports, etc.
- Provides solution-based counselling in the areas of job search, job placement, career decision making, job maintenance, or other identified employment needs.
- Conducts timely follow-ups with clients and provides repeat one-on-one employment counselling sessions as needed to review goals, address barriers, and ensure progress is being made.
- Provides intervention support and counselling services for clients as needed, supporting their empowerment during the implementation of service plans, and facilities community-based referrals as needed.
- Provides effective individual and group job search readiness support to all clients (e.g., internet job search, interview preparation, informational interviews, employment research methods, employer contacts, cold calling, relevant legislations, etc.).
- Assists clients in the exploration of occupational and training requirements, professional accreditation, language support, and credential assessment.
- Coaches and motivates clients during job search, guiding and supporting them in the daily completion of job search tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Development, Retention, and Employer Services:
- Develops relationships with employers in a variety of industries to ensure successful job development for clients.
- Connects with 3-5 new companies each month that reflect the employment needs of active caseload of job seeker clients.
- Collects labour market information for clients regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements, and other occupational information.
- Assists clients to acquire a strong understanding of industry perspectives and the positions to which they are applying.
- Conducts active job search activities with clients, including cold calling employers, assisting with online applications, and researching employers.
- Schedules meetings with other colleagues to collaborate on initiatives that lead clients to successful employment outcomes.
- Coordinates and conducts marketing and outreach activities to build relations with employers and associations as part of job development initiatives for job seeker clients.
- Places clients into meaningful employment opportunities through advertised and non-advertised job leads.
- Matches employers with suitable candidates for their vacancies and works with employers to facilitate other HR-related needs.
- Negotiates and administers placement agreements and employer incentives for wage subsidies and on-the-job training, and monitors training plans to ensure expectations are met.
- Maintains ongoing relationships with clients and employers, assisting in troubleshooting when challenges arise, promoting opportunities for job upgrades and advancement, and advocating for fair treatment of clients as needed.
- Assesses clients’ job retention status at multiple intervals for one year with a goal of positive retention.
- Facilitates and monitors mentor/coach relationships and their impact on the workplace and individual success.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records of all activities and client outcomes in internal and funder-mandated systems and completes all required administrative responsibilities of the position.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Skills Required:
- University degree or college diploma in human services or social work, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of direct service experience working with multi barriered clients, providing employment/career counselling, employer outreach and/or job retention services is required. Preference will be given to candidates who possess hands-on vocational counselling and/or job placement experience.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with employers and a track record in a results-driven environment.
- Solid experience in meeting or exceeding targets is preferred along with knowledge of hiring and training practices.
- Experience maintaining a participant caseload and previous experience working with government-funded programs is an asset.
- Experience facilitating online and in-person workshops with a high-level of participant engagement and completion rates considered an asset.
- Must possess excellent communication skills with the confidence to engage employers and clients remotely and on-site in the development of meaningful training plans with defined steps and outcomes.
- Knowledge of current labour market trends, the impact of COVID-19 on the labour market, job search techniques, and employment research methods.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), as well as Zoom, and Outlook 365 applications, including Teams, SharePoint, Forms, and Bookings.
- A professional and courteous approach to client service with a high level of respect for the diversity of the people served.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values.
- Outstanding organizational skills, time management, and ability to multi-task in order to meet deadlines and achieve program targets and objectives.
- Punctual, self-motivated and self-directed.
- Willingness to step-in to assist team members as needed to help ensure program goals are met.
- Ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment, with high standards of professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Capable of working under pressure with frequent interruptions.
- Must possess a valid G driver’s license and reliable vehicle and must be willing and able to travel between locations across the GTHA on a regular basis.
- Equipped to work remotely with an appropriate home office space and reliable internet connection for a potential hybrid remote working schedule, as determined by management.
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours when needed, including evenings and weekends, during peak periods.
- Must be fully vaccinated (two doses) against COVID-19. The successful candidate will be required to submit official documentation to confirm vaccination status prior to job offer.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program