Career Opportunity: Employment Specialist (Foundations in HVAC Bridging Program)
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Some of the benefits and features available to our employees include:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive Health Benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, travel coverage, and much more
- A comprehensive Dental Insurance plan
- An Employee & Family Assistance program
- An RRSP Matching plan
- A Wellness programs
Program & Role Description: The Foundations in HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) Bridging program assists internationally trained professionals to become certified and job-ready for the HVAC industry. Program participants are provided with training and certification to successfully integrate into the job market. The Employment Specialist is an important part of the project team, responsible for working directly with program participants, trainers, and partner organizations to ensure that participants develop the required skills for success in the HVAC industry.
- Position Type: Full-time, one-year contract with good possibility to lead to continuous employment
- Experience: 3+ years
- Number of Positions: 1
- Reporting to: Program Coordinator
- Location: Base office located at Lawrence Avenue West & Allen Road. Some travel required across the GTA. Potential to also perform some job functions remotely from home on a hybrid-remote schedule, as determined by management, contingent on the successful candidate having high-speed internet and an appropriate home office space.
- Start date: Immediately
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: The Career Foundation is committed to the health and safety of its workforce. As of December 16, 2021, successful candidates for our internal employment opportunities must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of same prior to receiving an official employment offer. Accommodations will be made where possible for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Facilitates Information sessions (virtual and in-person) to potential program participants highlighting program objectives, duration, and eligibility.
- Ensures that eligible program candidates understand that they must possess international training and work experience related to HVAC
- Contacts participant candidates to extend formal offers to participate in the program and communicates regrets to those not selected for the program and offers referrals elsewhere.
- Conducts interviews, intakes, and needs assessments with program participants.
- Completes program registration forms with participants to determine eligibility and suitability, establishing a professional and supportive “first contact” relationship
- Assesses participants’ employment goals and assists them in developing a structured service delivery plan.
- Assists participants with obtaining meaningful employment through individual and group employment counselling sessions, including résumé writing, interview skills, networking, cold calling, labour market information, and informational interviewing.
- Coordinates wraparound services to address identified needs and provides additional information and referral services regarding other community programs as necessary, including liaising with community partners regarding referrals and client progress
- Identifies barriers to employment faced by internationally trained professionals and provides participants with necessary supports and resources, including referrals to appropriate community services as needed
- Provides one-on-one and group sessions on job maintenance skills to ensure that participants can handle challenges on the job with professionalism and maturity
- Analyses, evaluates, and interprets collected information to assist program participants in targeting the most suitable employment, based on qualifications, experience, education, and existing labour market factors.
- Collects labour market information regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements, and other occupational information to support participants with finding employment.
- Provides solution-based counselling in the areas of job search, job placement, career decision making, job maintenance, and other identified employment needs.
- Monitors individual participant action plans and group processes to maximize participant learning, self-confidence, and employability skills.
- Conducts active job search activities with participants, including cold calling employers, assisting with online applications, researching employers via LinkedIn, and other activities.
- Assists participants in the exploration of occupational training requirements, professional/industry accreditation, language support as necessary, and further education/training opportunities.
- Facilitates and conducts on-site and off-site job search workshops.
- Participates in the design, implementation, and evaluation of job search materials to meet the needs of internationally trained professionals.
- Arranges consultation meetings with the team’s Job Developer to discuss back-up strategies for participants who did not succeed in getting a job through job placement services.
- Coordinates and conducts marketing and outreach activities to build relations with employers, associations, and other key contacts in the HVAC sector.
- Participates in community events, job fairs, and related activities to inform job seekers about the Foundations in HVAC Bridging Program and performs other program recruitment initiatives.
- Prepares and submits weekly and monthly activity reports to the Program Coordinator.
- Manages participants’ information on internal and funder-mandated online systems.
- Maintains documentation of participant files, including records of services provided.
- Creates case files in online systems for all participants, including entering data pertaining to education, work history, NAICS and NOCs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Skills Required:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Human Services, Employment Counselling, Social Sciences, or related field preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Experience working with and supporting internationally trained professionals, job seekers with disabilities, and newcomers considered a strong asset.
- A minimum of 3 years of proven, hands-on transferrable work experience in employment assessment, case management, job coaching, or within a similar employment-services capacity is required. Candidates who also possess direct experience in group facilitation and community outreach, along with experience or knowledge in the trades, especially in the HVAC industry or relevant field, will be given priority.
- Knowledge of current labour market trends, especially in the trades, the impact of COVID-19 on the labour market, job search techniques and employment research methods is preferred.
- Proven track record in a results-driven environment and solid experience in meeting or exceeding targets is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communicational skills with the ability to clearly community information and develop formal business documents.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values.
- A professional and courteous approach to client service with a high level of respect for the diversity of the people served.
- Flexible and positive approach to work and willingness to take initiative to lend assistance where needed to ensure that the team is successful in meeting project goals.
- Proven ability to work independently and build strong working team relationships.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), as well as Zoom, and Outlook 365 applications, including Teams, SharePoint, Forms, and Bookings.
- Punctual, self-motivated, and self-directed.
- Ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment, while upholding standards of professionalism, ethics, and confidentiality.
- Must be flexible to work outside of normal business hours when needed, during peak periods.
- Must be equipped to work from assigned base office located at Lawrence Avenue West & Allen Road. Some travel required across the GTA. Potential to also perform some job functions remotely from home on a hybrid-remote schedule, as determined by management, contingent on the successful candidate having high-speed internet and an appropriate home office space.
- Must be fully vaccinated (two doses) against COVID-19. The successful candidate will be required to submit official documentation to confirm vaccination status prior to job offer.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to email@example.com, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program