Career Opportunity: HR Generalist
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Some of the benefits and features available to our employees include:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive Health Benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, travel coverage, and much more
- Comprehensive Dental Insurance plan
- Employee & Family Assistance program
- RRSP Matching plan
- Wellness program
Position description: As a key member of The Career Foundation’s HR department, the HR Generalist is responsible for performing a range of important HR functions within the organization, including full cycle recruitment, performance management, employee onboarding and offboarding, health and safety, benefits administration, employee engagement initiatives, and other important HR functions.
- Position Type: Full-time (37.5 hours per week)
- Experience Required: 3+ years
- Number of Positions: 1
- Reporting to: Director, Human Resources and Operations
- Location: This opportunity is being offered as a hybrid-remote work model. The successful candidate must have a private work-from-home space with reliable, high-speed internet connection, and must be willing to travel to all offices of The Career Foundation across the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area, as needed. Base office location at Lawrence & Allen Rd. in Toronto.
- Start Date: Immediately
Please note: Full-time employees in their first year with The Career Foundation are normally provided with a term employment agreement until they have reached one year of service, at which time if all is going mutually well they are offered indefinite employment.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: The Career Foundation is committed to the health and safety of its workforce. As of December 16, 2021, successful candidates for our internal employment opportunities must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of same prior to receiving an official employment offer. Accommodations will be made where possible for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Leads full-cycle recruitment activities for internal vacancies, including developing job postings, coordinating candidate pre-screens, participating in interviews, completing references, and making recommendations to hiring supervisors.
- Leads the recruitment cycle of volunteers and practicum placement students; acts as main contact person for colleges and university programs from which practicum students are recruited, and represents the organization on related committees, as needed.
- Works in collaboration with supervisors across the organization to proactively identify future hiring needs and organizes company recruitment events and open houses, as needed.
- Coaches and supports supervisors on effective interviewing techniques and updates interviewing guides as necessary.
- Works in collaboration with supervisors to maintain up-to-date job descriptions for all positions across the organization.
- Completes salary assessments using established salary grids and decision-making models when employment offers are being prepared.
- Prepares confidential documents, including employment agreements and related paperwork (e.g., position change letters, salary increase letters, etc.).
- Works cross functionally with the Finance team on HR matters that affect payroll (e.g., new employee documentation; benefits; ROEs, etc.).
- Takes a lead role in the implementation and maintenance of Human Resources Information System (UKG).
- Manages record of employment agreements and issues appropriate reminders to supervisors.
- Conducts regular check-ins with new personnel who are in the first six months of employment with the organization.
- Works in collaboration with the Director of HR and Operations to streamline and implement effective and efficient employee onboarding functions, including new staff orientation processes, analyzing HRIS data, and conducting monitoring to ensure accuracy and compliance across the organization.
- Coordinates various training workshops for employees and maintains accurate records.
- Provides direction to supervisors on conducting effective performance management procedures and conducts follow-up as needed to ensure that performance discussions and formal reviews are conducted as scheduled and on an ongoing basis.
- Works in collaboration with HR and Special Projects Assistant to plan and execute staff appreciation events.
- Participates in employee benefit enrollment procedures and communicates with benefit providers regarding claim issues when required.
- Responds to questions from employees on a wide variety of HR matters and escalates higher level and serious matters to the Director of HR and Operations for resolution as needed.
- Works in collaboration with Director of HR and Operations to create and implement employee recognition initiatives.
- Supports the Director of HR and Operations with conducting workplace investigations when required pursuant to policies and legislative requirements.
- Drives employee insight initiatives, including creating and executing employee surveys, and compiles and presents results.
- Supports the Director of HR and Operations to manage job-protected leaves of absences and return-to-work plans.
- Promotes positive employee relations and a professional workplace environment in accordance with the organization’s core values.
- Actively participates in employee initiatives that maintain a positive culture and result in high engagement and retention.
- Other HR duties as required.
- Post-secondary degree in Human Resources is preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Three (3) or more years of progressive HR experience in a similar capacity providing various HR functions is required. Candidates who meet the above qualifications and also possess CHRP or CHRL designation will be given priority.
- Current knowledge of various legislations, including the Employment Standards Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and Ontario Human Rights Code, is required.
- Experience utilizing HRIS technologies is required. Knowledge of UKG considered a strong asset.
- HR experience in a mid-size, service-based organization with multiple locations considered an asset, along with experience implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Prior experience on Joint H & S Committees and experience conducting ergonomic assessments considered an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite of products, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel, as well as Zoom, and Outlook 365 applications, including Teams and SharePoint is required. Must also possess aptitude and willingness to learn and work with new online systems and technologies.
- High standards of ethics and confidentiality with proven ability to maintain sensitive information and exhibit tact, diplomacy, and good judgment.
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal communication skills in all interactions with personnel, job candidates, community partners, and other stakeholders, and the ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values.
- A high level of respect for the diversity of the people that The Career Foundation so proudly employs.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional attention-to-detail, organizational and time management skills, with a proven ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Responsive and flexible to evolving responsibilities and able to take initiative while maintaining a positive approach.
- Flexibility to occasionally work outside of normal business hours when needed during peak periods.
- This opportunity is being offered as a hybrid-remote work model. The successful candidate must have a private work-from-home space with reliable, high-speed internet connection, and must be willing to travel to all offices of The Career Foundation across the GTHA, when needed. Base office location at Lawrence & Allen Rd. in Toronto.
- Must be fully vaccinated (two doses) against COVID-19. The successful candidate will be required to submit official documentation to confirm vaccination status prior to job offer.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program