Career Opportunity: Human Resources Manager
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Some of the benefits and features available to our employees include:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive Health Benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, travel coverage, and much more
- A comprehensive Dental Insurance plan
- An Employee & Family Assistance program
- An RRSP Matching plan
- A Wellness program
Position description: Reporting to the Director of Human Resources and Operations, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for performing a wide range of HR functions, including full cycle recruitment, employee onboarding and offboarding, health and safety, benefits administration, talent development, performance management, employee engagement initiatives, and more.
- Position Type: Full-time, one-year contract with very good possibility to lead to continuous employment
- Experience Required: 5+
- Number of Positions: 1
- Reporting to: Director, Human Resources and Operations
- Location: Hybrid-remote work model, with base office location at Lawrence & Allen Rd. in Toronto. The successful candidate must have a private and appropriate work-from-home space and reliable internet connection and must be willing to travel to various offices across the GTHA, as needed. Company cell phone and laptop provided.
- Start Date: Immediately
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: The Career Foundation is committed to the health and safety of its workforce. As of December 16, 2021, successful candidates for our internal employment opportunities must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of same prior to receiving an official employment offer. Accommodations will be made where possible for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Actively participates in full-cycle recruitment activities for all internal vacancies, including developing job postings, working in collaboration with the Recruitment Assistant to screen resumes and administer and mark pre-screen exercises, participating in interviews, completing references, and making recommendations to hiring supervisors.
- Works in collaboration with supervisors across the organization to proactively identify future hiring needs and organizes company recruitment events and open houses, as needed.
- Coaches and supports supervisors on effective interviewing techniques, updates interviewing guides as necessary and presents updates to the Director of HR and Operations for approval.
- Works in collaboration with supervisors to maintain up-to-date job descriptions for all positions across the organization.
- Completes salary assessments using established salary grids and decision-making models when employment offers are being prepared.
- Works cross functionally with the Finance team on HR matters that affect payroll (e.g., new employee documentation; benefits; Records of Employment, etc.).
- Takes an active role in the implementation and maintenance of a new Human Resources Information System (HRIS) currently being implemented at the organization.
- Conducts research and market analyses of pay practices and salary structures and presents research findings to the Director of HR and Operations.
- Preparing confidential documents, including employment agreements and related paperwork for all personnel across the organization (e.g., position change letters, salary increase letters, etc.).
- Manages record of employment agreements’ expiry dates, and issues appropriate reminders to supervisors.
- Works in collaboration with the Director of HR and Operations to streamline and implement effective and efficient employee onboarding functions, including new staff orientation processes, analyzing HRIS data, and conducting monitoring to ensure accuracy and compliance across the organization.
- Conducts regular “check-ins” with managers and new staff in the first 6 months.
- Leads recruitment cycle of volunteers and practicum placement students.
- Acts as main contact person for colleges and university programs from which practicum students are recruited, and represents the organization on related committees, as needed.
- Coordinates various, ongoing training workshops for employees and maintains accurate records.
- Provides direction to supervisors on conducting effective performance management procedures and conducts follow-up as needed to ensure that performance discussions and formal reviews are conducted as scheduled and on an ongoing basis.
- Takes a lead role in planning and executing staff appreciation events and recognition initiatives.
- Supports the Director of HR and Operations with conducting workplace investigations when required pursuant to policies and legislative requirements.
- Works with supervisors to develop special procedures and protocols as needed (e.g., event-specific COVID-19 safety plans).
- Takes a lead role in the administration of benefits, including enrolling new members, answering questions from team members, and resolving claims issues with benefits providers when needed.
- Responds to questions from management and employees on a wide variety of HR matters. Escalates higher level and serious matters to the Director of HR and Operations for resolution.
- Conducts retention strategy research and initiatives, tracks retention rates, and provides reports.
- Conducts exit interviews and provides feedback to management and senior leadership.
- Drives employee insight initiatives, including creating and executing employee surveys, including onboarding surveys, and compiling and presenting results, as needed.
- Manages job-protected leaves of absences and return-to-work plans.
- Supports special HR projects by participating in the roll-out and delivery, monitoring of results, and necessary follow-up.
- Promotes positive employee relations and a professional workplace environment in accordance with the organization’s core values.
- Actively participates in employee initiatives that maintain a positive culture and result in high engagement and retention.
- Prepares and submits proposals annually to bring on staff through the Canada Summer Jobs program, Investing in Neighbourhoods program, and other government-funded programs; liaises with government offices and officials, administers contracts, and provides required reports.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications / Skills Required:
- Post-secondary degree in Human Resources or a related field and a minimum of 5 years of hands-on HR experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive HR experience in a similar role that included direct administration of various HR functions is required, preferably in a mid-size, service-based organization with multiple locations. Candidates who meet the above qualifications and also possess CHRP or CHRL designation will be given preference.
- Current knowledge of various legislations, including the Employment Standards Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and Ontario Human Rights Code, highly preferred.
- Experience utilizing HRIS technologies to perform HR administrative functions is required.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft suite of products, including Word, PowerPoint and Excel, as well as Zoom, and Outlook 365 applications, including Teams, SharePoint, Forms, and Bookings. Must also possess aptitude and willingness to learn and work with new online systems and technologies.
- Experience implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives considered an asset.
- Experience conducting ergonomic assessments considered an asset.
- High standards of ethics and confidentiality with proven ability to maintain sensitive information and exhibit tact, diplomacy, and good judgment.
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal communication skills in all interactions with personnel, job candidates, community partners, and other stakeholders, and the ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values.
- A high level of respect for the diversity of the people that The Career Foundation so proudly employs.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills and capable of working under pressure with frequent interruptions.
- Exceptional attention-to-detail, organizational and time management skills, with a proven ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Responsive and flexible to evolving responsibilities and able to take initiative while maintaining a positive approach.
- Equipped to work in a hybrid-remote model. Must have a private and appropriate work-from-home space and reliable internet connection and must be willing to travel to various offices across the GTHA as needed.
- Willingness and flexibility to occasionally work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends, during peak periods.
- Must be fully vaccinated (two doses) against COVID-19. The successful candidate will be required to submit official documentation to confirm vaccination status prior to job offer.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program