Career Opportunity: Job Retention Specialist (Fully Remote)
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Program description: The Ontario Home Builders’ Job-Ready Program provides job seekers with entry-level practical skills training and experience that prepares them for work in the construction industry. In addition to hands-on industry training, participants are provided with entry-level skills training, a paid job placement, and ongoing retention supports to ensure their long-term success in the construction field. Paid work placements take place with employers located throughout Ontario, including Simcoe, Niagara, St. Thomas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Durham, Quinte, and Kitchener/Waterloo.
The Ontario Home Builders’ Job-Ready Program is made possible by EnerQuality Corporation, with funding provided by the Government of Ontario, Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development. The program is run in partnership with Ontario Home Builders’ Association and The Career Foundation.
Position description: The Job Retention Specialist will be an important part of The Career Foundation’s team on this project, responsible for providing program participants with essential job retention coaching and support. The Job Retention Specialist will monitor the progress of job placements that program participants are placed in, coach participants individually and in group settings on industry and job-specific demands and expectations, facilitate virtual weekly meetings, and other important duties. This is a fully remote position that requires the successful candidate to have an appropriate work-from-home space.
- Position Type: Full-time contract with flexible hours until May 2022. This role can be offered as either a full-time employment opportunity, or on an independent contractor basis contingent on the successful candidate meeting necessary requirements.
- Reporting to: Manager, Employer Partnerships and Services
- Location(s): Fully remote position. The successful candidate must reside in Ontario and be equipped with an appropriate home office space, including reliable, high-speed internet.
- Number of positions: 1
- Experience: 2 + years
- Start date: Immediately
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Individual Retention Coaching:
- Monitors progress of program participants’ job placements in construction and facilitates adjustments as needed.
- Completes weekly check-ins with participants while in work experience placements.
- Provides on-demand and real-time individual retention coaching to participants via phone, virtual meetings, emails, and text messages, during job placements to ensure they retain their positions.
- Coordinates and facilitates industry-specific orientations to the workplace and employer expectations on-the-job.
- Assists participants in the development of appropriate work habits, behaviours, and attitudes during their participation in the program and in the workplace.
- Provides individualized job-specific coaching based on each participant’s job search goals.
- Discusses life skills with participants in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Provides one-on-one support and/or group counselling to participants on employment-related topics, including conflict resolution, career advancement, accepting feedback, etc.
- Assists participants in the exploration of employment requirements, industry accreditation, and further education/training opportunities.
- Advises employed participants on career laddering opportunities and next steps.
- Refers participants for additional counselling and/or other services as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Group Retention Coaching:
- Facilitates weekly virtual sessions (up to two sessions per week via Zoom) to discuss construction industry, training opportunities, and career advancement, including moderated questions pertaining to job experiences.
- Sources and coordinates volunteer construction industry speakers focused on technical expertise, diversity and inclusion, and other topics.
- Coordinates stipends for industry speakers.
- Sources additional training resources to be used in virtual sessions, such as demonstration videos, technical knowledge related to construction, etc.
- Conducts weekly surveys used to build the structure of future community meetings on an ongoing basis that are engaging, productive, and time efficient.
- Creates and distributes a weekly communication e-blast newsletter that includes meeting reminders, testimonials, a short blog, resources, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Skills Required:
- Knowledge, experience and/or interest in the trades is essential. Candidates with direct experience or knowledge in the trades and particularly construction will be prioritized.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field is preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A minimum 2 years’ of related experience in job coaching/counselling and/or training/facilitation, or experience that is directly transferrable, is required.
- Must reside in Ontario and be equipped with an appropriate home office space, including reliable, high-speed internet, to perform this fully remote position.
- A patient, flexible, and professional approach to client service with a high level of respect for the diversity of the people served.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills with ability to clearly communicate information verbally and in writing.
- Solid experience in meeting or exceeding goals is highly preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), as well as Zoom is required. Must also possess aptitude and willingness to learn and work with new online systems and technologies.
- Must be positive and results-driven in nature and capable of achieving program goals.
- Ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment, with high standards of professionalism, ethics and confidentiality when facing challenging situations.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values.
- Outstanding organizational skills, time management, and ability to multi-task in order to meet deadlines and achieve objectives.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and develop rapport with people.
- Willingness and flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends, is required in order to support program participants in real-time, when support is needed.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program