Career Opportunity: Program Coordinator – Arborist Groundwork Training Program (SAO)
- Position Type: Full time one-year contract (a temporary leave replacement position)
- Experience: 2+ years
- Number of Positions: 1
- Reporting to: Trades & Apprenticeship Manager
- Location: Combination of work-at-home and travel across the GTHA, Ottawa, and London based on program needs. Base office location available at Lawrence & Allen Road in Toronto, ON.
- Start date: Immediately
Program Description: The Program Coordinator of The Career Foundation’s Arborist Groundworker Training Program is accountable for ensuring the program meets all milestones and targets. The Program Coordinator will utilize their exceptional rapport-building skills to develop and maintain relationships with partners and participants to help ensure program success. Partners of the program include, but are not limited to, arborist industry associations, advisory committee members, trainers, and arborist employers. Eligible participants of the program are comprised of job seekers with barriers to employment. The Program Coordinator is also required to provide employment and life skills counselling to participants, as well as other key functions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
Program Coordination & Administration:
- Assuming responsibilities for the day-to-day operations of the program, including participant recruitment and selection, program administration, pre-employment workshops, technical training, job placements and employment services, including post-employment support to participants.
- Managing administrators and job developers who input and manage data into the program funder’s system (CaMS).
- Ensuring input data is accurate and funder standards are followed.
- Overseeing program activities to ensure program timelines are met, contractual milestones are on track, and uninterrupted service to clients.
- Following and enforcing The Career Foundation’s internal policies and procedures.
- Monitoring and spending program budget, processing staff expenses, overseeing partners’ budgets, and collecting/submitting invoices.
- Communicating with Trades and Apprenticeship Manager regarding staff performance, partnership relations, program status and target milestones, in relation to contract requirements and needs of the program.
- Authoring and editing reports to funder on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis.
- Coordinating and hosting program events, such as a hiring fair, graduation and site visits from the funder.
- Participating in numerous industry events, such as industry conferences, including overnight travel, if needed (lodging accommodations provided).
Partner Relations & Staff Management:
- Assuming coordination and supervision of the program, including partners, trainers, students/participants, and staff.
- Supervising and motivating partners, trainers, and staff to reach targets and service expectations.
- Negotiating and mediating between partners, students and/or trainers, as needed.
- Providing program updates to partners and staff.
- Participating in weekly/monthly/bi-monthly meetings with project delivery partners and trainers, as needed.
- Assisting the Trades and Apprenticeship Manager with program advisory committee duties, including scheduling and hosting meetings, and taking meeting minutes.
- Leading staff training, case conferences, and staff meetings.
- Receiving feedback from public, partners, trainers, and participants, including resolving issues as they arise.
- Cultivating a positive and collaborative working environment
Program Promotion & Participant Recruitment:
- Coordinating the recruitment of 24 eligible and suitable participants.
- Overseeing the delivery of program outreach and marketing.
- Monitoring the participant application process.
- Conducting numerous community information sessions.
- Answering program inquiries and screening applications.
- Coordinating and conducting participant interviews with Trades and Apprenticeship Manager and partner representatives.
- Contacting participant candidates to extend offers or communicate regrets and referring those not selected elsewhere.
- Liaising with community partners regarding client referrals and client progress as needed.
- Conducting intake sessions with potential candidates for the program.
- Creating and adapting pre-employment curriculum as needed.
- Editing and printing curriculum workbook and/or resources.
- Overseeing the facilitation of pre-employment workshops, including soliciting and arranging industry guest speakers, hiring third-party trainers, and booking workshop space.
- Managing scheduling conflicts or participant disruptions during workshops in a proactive and professional manner.
Job Development & Placement (as needed):
- Working individually with participants in developing skills related to creating effective self-marketing materials (e.g., resumes, cover letters, letters of introduction, follow-up correspondence, calling cards, etc.)
- Placing participants in jobs with employers and managing written training agreements and subsidies for mentorship.
- Managing the delivery of a minimum of 2 site visits with employers during the placement period.
- Coaching participants on interview preparation and self-presentation.
- Discussing life skills with participants in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Mediating conflicts between employer and participants as needed.
- Contacting employers to arrange interviews and job offers.
- Networking with employers to secure their commitment to hire participants.
- Providing one-on-one support and/or group counselling to participants on employment-related topics, such as job search, employer research, marketing skills, conflict resolution, career advancement, accepting feedback, etc.
- Identifying barriers to employment and providing participants with suitable referrals as needed.
- Assisting participants in the exploration of employment requirements, industry accreditation, and further education/training opportunities.
- Providing industry-specific orientation to the workplace and employer expectations on-the-job.
- Supporting participants in planning and conducting job search.
- Assessing participants’ employment goals and determining next steps.
- Developing a resource pool of mentors/coaches along with the creation of mentorship plans.
- Monitoring mentor/coach relationships and their impact on workplace and individual success, and facilitating adjustment as required.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications/ Skills Required:
- University degree required relating to the field of human services, or equivalent practical work experience.
- Direct experience or knowledge of arboriculture highly preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of direct experience with employment counselling, program/project administration and coordination.
- Ability to work with diverse populations, including participants facing employment barriers, is required.
- Must be results-driven with exceptional organizational and time management skills, in order to meet deadlines and achieve program targets.
- Previous staff supervision and experience working with employers and industry associations preferred.
- Experience working with invoices, claims, and budgets, as well as direct familiarity with programs funded by Employment Ontario, is an asset.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database applications.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills and proven ability to uphold service standards and policies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for giving and receiving information, participating in meetings and writing reports.
- Punctual, self-motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to multi-task and take initiative.
- Willingness to step-in to assist team members as needed to help ensure program goals are met
- Ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment, with high standards of professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Capable of working under pressure with frequent interruptions and ability to prioritize while working on different demands and urgencies at once.
- Able to work independently and build strong working team relationships.
- Must be able and willing to travel between locations in the GTHA, Ottawa, and London on a regular basis
- Must be flexible to work outside of normal business hours when needed, including evenings and weekends.
- Equipped to work remotely, with reliable internet connection.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program