Career Opportunity: Program Facilitator & Student Advisor (Arborist Ground Worker Training Program)
About The Career Foundation: The Career Foundation is a dynamic non-profit organization that offers a wide range of employment, training, and HR services to job seekers and employers. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. Our team of dedicated professionals have described The Career Foundation as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented. For more information about us and our services, please visit our website at CareerFoundation.com.
Some of the benefits and features available to our employees include:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive Health Benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, travel coverage, and much more
- A comprehensive Dental Insurance plan
- An Employee & Family Assistance program
- An RRSP Matching plan
- A Wellness program
Program & Role Description:
Are you an upbeat, positive person who loves the outdoors? Are you interested in building connections with people and learning about trees?
The Career Foundation’s Arborist Ground Worker Training program provides job seekers with arboriculture industry training that enhances productivity, safety and efficiency while enhancing communication, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
As an important member of the project team, the Program Facilitator/Student Advisor is responsible for providing employment-related coaching to students of the program, as well as facilitating pre-employment workshops to help prepare them for work in the arboriculture industry. Other essential duties for this position include program marketing initiatives to help promote the program to eligible participants and working cross functionally with third-party trainers and industry experts to ensure that the program and all participants meet and exceed goals.
Position Type: Full-time position (37.5 hours per week)
Experience: 2+ years
Number of Positions: 1
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Location: This opportunity is currently structured as a hybrid-remote position comprised of remote work-from-home functions, local travel within the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area (GTHA) as well as London, Ontario when needed, and on-site work from a base office in Toronto when in-person meetings are required. The remote work component is contingent on the successful candidate possessing appropriate home office space and high-speed internet. Schedule will be as determined by the Program Coordinator. Company laptop provided.
Please note: Full-time employees in their first year with The Career Foundation are normally provided with a term employment agreement until they have reached one year of service, at which time if all is going mutually well they are offered indefinite employment.
Start date: Immediately
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: The Career Foundation is committed to the health and safety of its workforce. As of December 16, 2021, successful candidates for our internal employment opportunities must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of same prior to receiving an official employment offer. Accommodations will be made where possible for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Program Promotion & Participant Recruitment
- Recruits eligible participants into the program through various initiatives, including providing virtual information sessions, working in collaboration with The Career Foundation’s Communications team to launch social media campaigns, and responding to related inquiries from potential participants, partners, and other stakeholders.
- Facilitates initial eligibility screening processes with program applicants, including reviewing applications for eligibility and suitability factors and scheduling interviews with potential program participants.
- Contacts candidates to extend offers of acceptance into the program and communicates regrets and referral resources to those not selected.
- Liaises with industry partners regarding client referrals and client progress as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Pre-Employment Workshop Facilitation
- Prepares and delivers pre-employment workshops that help program participants prepare for work in the arboriculture industry, including researching, developing and editing content and resources for workshops in partnership with Program Coordinator.
- Coordinates and schedules external training with partner trainers and industry guest speakers.
- Manages scheduling conflicts and participant disruptions as needed during workshops in a proactive and professional manner.
- Utilizes creativity to create a supportive, upbeat and cohesive dynamic amongst the program participants to keep them interested and engaged (e.g., Zoom trivia, chatty check-ins, class group chat, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
Student Advising / Employment Counselling
- Provides one-on-one support and/or group coaching to participants on employment-related topics, including job search, industry-specific orientation to the workplace and employer expectations on-the-job, resume creation, employer research, self-marketing skills, conflict resolution, career advancement, accepting feedback, and other topics.
- Identifies barriers to employment and provides participants with tailored solutions including suitable referrals to other resources when needed.
- Cultivates an open and supportive relationship with students so they feel comfortable confiding their needs for other supports available (e.g., client support funds, specialty sizing for PPE, transit funds, etc.).
- Conducts employer site visits to check-in with students and monitor their success.
- Works closely with industry trainers to resolve any student difficulties or setbacks.
- Develops a resource pool of employer mentors and mentorship plans, and monitors mentor/student relationships for their impact on workplace and individual success, facilitating conflict resolution when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Collects and monitors program data regarding participants’ attendance, service plans, training status, training outcomes, employment status, employment outcomes, and other details.
- Creates case files and service plans for all participants in funder-mandated online system and internal databases, including entering information and updating it as needed.
- Maintains documentation and records of service provided, including participant progress reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please note that in addition to the qualifications and skills outlined below, this position is best suited for an individual who enjoys nature and the outdoors and has knowledge of or an interest in gaining experience in, the arboriculture industry:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in human/social services preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in recruitment, workshop facilitation, and/or job coaching, or experience that is directly transferrable to the position is required. Experience in vocational counselling with job seekers who have barriers to employment is a strong asset.
- Excellent verbal and written English communications skills and ability to clearly communicate information during workshops and in written reports. Previous experience developing cover letters and resumes considered an asset.
- A professional and courteous approach to client service with a high level of respect for the diversity of the people served.
- Must be positive and results-driven in nature and capable of achieving program goals.
- Knowledge of current labour market trends, the impact of COVID-19 on the labour market, job search techniques, and employment research methods highly preferred.
- Exceptional customer service skills and ability to uphold the organization’s service standards, policies, and core values.
- Outstanding organizational skills, time management, and ability to multi-task.
- Punctual, self-motivated and self-directed.
- Willingness to step-in to assist team members as needed to help ensure program goals are met.
- Ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment, with high standards of professionalism, ethics and confidentiality when facing challenging situations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), as well as Zoom, and Outlook 365 applications, including Teams. Must also possess aptitude and willingness to learn and work with new online systems and technologies.
- Must be willing and flexible to work outside of normal business hours when needed to support program participants in real-time when they require support.
- Must be fully vaccinated (two doses) against COVID-19. The successful candidate will be required to submit official documentation to confirm vaccination status prior to job offer.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below. We suggest using the latest version of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to complete the form, in order to ensure that your application is submitted correctly.
*Should you experience any technical difficulties while submitting your application, please submit your résumé to email@example.com, along with a Word document that addresses all of the questions in the application form.
About The Career Foundation
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program