About The Program
The carpentry trade needs skilled professionals. But without prior working experience or formal education, it can be difficult to find a good employer. The Career Foundation’s General Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship program exposes students to a variety of carpentry and construction skills and offers a 12-week paid placement.
The General Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship program provides hands-on experience in the carpentry and construction trades. Students will gain knowledge of industry standards, learn basic trade techniques, and how to correctly operate hand and power tools.
After completion of the program, students will have both the basic theory and practical knowledge of a Level 1 carpenter and possess the skills to pursue a career as a carpenter, or in the other construction trades.
No previous experience required. There is no cost to participate!
Over the 30-week program, participants will obtain:
- General Carpenter Apprenticeship Level 1 Training Certification;
- Exposure to a wide variety of carpentry/construction techniques;
- Pre-employment workshops;
- Safety training and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Secondary exposure to the Drywall, Acoustics and Lathing Applicator trade;
- Further skill development through a 12-week paid work placement in the carpentry/construction field.
- Must be between the age of 18 and 29
- Minimum Grade 10 education
- Unemployed or underemployed (working fewer then 20 hours per week)
- Must be able to commit to full-time hours during program
- Willing to commute to paid work placement within Hamilton/Halton region.
Program Application & Selection
The General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship Program for Youth is run once annually, based upon funding, and is limited to 20 students.
Applications for the General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship Program for Youth are now closed. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you require any additional information, please contact us by email: email@example.com or by phone at: 416-731-1737
Interested in other trades?
Check out our Made in the Trades site!