About The Program
Are you interested in learning to build and working with your hands? Do you enjoy physical work and operating power tools? If so, you may be interested in the General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship program. No previous experience required.
The General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship program is geared towards youth looking to gain carpentry training and experience in the construction / renovation industry. There is no cost to participate in the program.
Over the 32 week program, participants will obtain:
- Exposure to the Construction / Renovation Industry;
- General Carpenter Apprenticeship Level 1 Training;
- Pre-employment workshops;
- Further skill development through a paid work placement in the carpentry field;
- Safety equipment;
- Secondary trade exposure in Drywall, Acoustic and Lathing Application.
Youth Participant Eligibility
- Minimum of Grade 10 or equivalent;
- 18 to 29 years old;
- Unemployed or underemployed;
- Must be available to devote to full-time studies;
- G license is an asset or commitment to obtaining it as soon as possible.
Program Application & Selection
The General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship program is run annually. Therefore, demand is usually high. Participants who are interested in carpentry training and who meet program eligibility are required to complete the following selection process:
- Complete a Program Application Form;
- Attend an Information Session;
- Participate in a Panel Interview;
- Complete a Language, Reading Comprehension and Applied Math / Mechanical Reasoning Skills Assessment.
If you wish to apply, please complete the program application here.
Interested in other trades?
Check out our Made in the Trades mini-site!