About The Program
The carpentry trade needs skilled professionals. But without prior working experience or formal education, it can be difficult to find a good employer. The Career Foundation’s General Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship program exposes students to a variety of carpentry and construction skills and offers a 12-week paid placement.
The General Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship program provides hands-on experience in the carpentry and construction trades. Students will gain knowledge of industry standards, learn basic trade techniques, and how to correctly operate hand and power tools.
After completion of the program, students will have both the basic theory and practical knowledge of a Level 1 carpenter and possess the skills to pursue a career as a carpenter, or in the other construction trades.
No previous experience required. There is no cost to participate!
Over the 30-week program, participants will obtain:
- General Carpenter Apprenticeship Level 1 Training Certification;
- Exposure to a wide variety of carpentry/construction techniques;
- Pre-employment workshops;
- Safety training and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Secondary exposure to the Drywall, Acoustics and Lathing Applicator trade;
- Further skill development through a 12-week paid work placement in the carpentry/construction field.
Youth Participant Eligibility
- Minimum of Grade 10 or equivalent;
- 18 to 29 years old;
- Unemployed or underemployed;
- Must be available to commit to full-time studies and attendance.
Program Application & Selection
The General Carpenter Pre-Apprenticeship Program for Youth is run once annually, based upon funding, and is limited to 20 students. Participants who are interested in enrolling in the program are required to complete the following steps:
- Complete the on-line Registration Form;
- Attend an Information Session;
- Participate in an interview;
- Complete an Applied Math / Mechanical Reasoning Skills Assessment.
We are now accepting applications for the February 2020 program. Please follow the link below to the on-line registration form.
If you require any additional information, please contact us by phone or e-mail.
- Phone: 905-667-0321, ext. 232
- Email: email@example.com